Swatch Internet Time (5)

1 Name: chaoskaiser72 ## KAISER : 2024-01-10 00:34 ID:iHQVWonN [Del]

I've been playing Phantasy Star Online on my Dreamcast on sylverant.net lately (do join me there, you can play with me on the PC port) and finally researched what "Internet Time" in the menu was. I learned it was an attempt by the Swiss watchmaker Swatch to standardize a new time format for the Internet, with no time zones so that people could co-ordinate globally.
The campaign started in 1998 and had utterly faded out by the mid-2000s, but this Y2K relic is not wholly forgotten, and for the web 1.0 underground flourishing today, I think it's a great thing to adopt. Especially if you play PSO. Which you should.

See about it:
https://www.swatch.com/en-en/internet-time.html
https://wiki.melonland.net/swatch_time

2 Name: gyudon_addict! : 2024-01-11 14:18 ID:GFgjPrjq [Del]

Is PSO easy to get into? MMORPGs were never a big part of my gaming life but it looks like it might be fun. And that such an old game works cross-platform is pretty amazing.

Internet Time came up in a discussion I had about alternate timekeeping schemes once, there's really a whole world of em if you look into it; it's interesting stuff. Maybe I could come up with a hack that displays timestamps here in Internet Time?

3 Name: chaoskaiser72 ## KAISER : 2024-01-11 14:48 ID:iHQVWonN [Del]

Levelling is very slow in vanilla PSO but it helps to party up with someone higher level and take on strong enemies given that they won't one-hit you; as long as you get one shot in you'll get the full EXP reward on vanilla. The night I first connected I met someone who was level 3 and took him through the first boss, then someone level 124 joined and took us through all four bosses of the game and gave us a ton of items. I chose a kind of disadvantaged class so that helped a lot. I'm not sure PSO fully counts as an MMO because only four can play in any given game, but that makes it comfortable to join up with a random stranger or get two or three friends together for some quests.
Ultima PSOBB is a PC server for Blue Burst that multiplies EXP and from what I remember feeds you the EXP of whomever you're in a game with, so you can just stand around while someone wins the game for you. Since it has a whole Episode 2 I've never touched, I'll probably run through it on Ultima once I've totally finished the Dreamcast version.
All in all PSO is actually very calming to grind in, the visuals are great, the music loops smoothly and transitions procedurally into battle music, so you can play for dozens of hours before you know it.

As for Internet Time, I actually opened an issue requesting it to be added to Kiramoji, since in the config file you can see there are multiple options for time display on here. If you can make it work yourself maybe you could submit it to be added. It would be pretty nice because I have this board on localtime and no one knows what that is, and Americans don't read 24-hour time anyway, so 1000 beats almost aligned with UTC would ironically be easier to interpret as far as post times go.

4 Post deleted by user.

5 Name: chaoskaiser72 ## KAISER : d15.01.24 @107.98 .beats ID:iHQVWonN [Del]

Flameborn has added Internet Time to Kiramoji! It should show up on this post.

Name: Link:
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Verification: